Shocking bodycam footage shows the moment New Mexico police shot dead an innocent man after approaching the wrong house on a domestic violence call out, before firing at the victim’s screaming widow.

The blood-chilling video, released by Farmington Police, shows officers realize they are at the wrong address seconds before they shoot dead Robert Dotson, 52, who opens his door armed with a gun.

His widow’s haunting screams can then be heard from inside the house and a traumatized cop pleads quietly to himself: ‘Please, don’t.’ 

Officers had approached 5305 Valley View Avenue on April 5, but they were supposed to go to 5308 Valley View Avenue, located across the street.

When officers knocked on the door and announced themselves no one answered the door.

[embedded content]

The 52-year-old homeowner, Robert Dotson (pictured) of Farmington died in the officer-involved shooting on Wednesday night around 11:30pm. His wife, Kimberly Jones- Dotson was also armed but cooperated with the authorities once she realized who they were 

Bodycam footage shows three officers approaching Robert Dotson’s house before realizing they are at the wrong address

After the three officers began to back away from the door and prepare to leave after their knocks go unanswered, Dotson, 52, appears and points a gun at them 

All three officers fire instantaneously and Dotson appears to drop to the floor. One officer confirms: ‘One down.’

The footage shows an officer knocking three times, but between the second and third knocks, the three cops discuss whether they were at the wrong address.

The officer at the door asks: ‘Is this not 5308? That’s what it said right there, right?’

His partner responds: ‘No, it said 5305 didn’t it?’

The first officer then requests confirmation of the address they have been called out to over his intercom, and the dispatch confirms 5308.

In a chilling moment of levity seconds before their fatal encounter, the officer then appears to say: ‘So they told me the wrong…’

The audio then cuts out and a third officer, standing a few feet away from the front door, is heard laughing.

The cops then begin to back away from the door as they prepare to leave, but seconds later Dotson appears opens the door and raises a gun.

Panicked officers are heard shouting: ‘Hey! Hey! What the…?!’ before shooting Dotson dead instantly.

Officers confirm: ‘One down, move out.’

About a minute later, a woman’s screams can be heard coming from the house. The woman, later identified as Dotson’s widow, Kimberly Jones-Dotson, then appears at the door with a firearm.

One traumatized officer, seemingly fearing another deadly shootout, says under his breath: ‘Please, don’t.’

The woman fires her weapon at the officers, who return fire. The footage ends after the conclusion of shots being exchanged.

Officers had approached 5305 Valley View Avenue on April 5, but they were supposed to go to 5308 Valley View Avenue, located across the street

Robert Dotson’s home, 5305 Valley View Avenue

5308 Valley View Avenue

Robert Dotson with his wife Kimberly and their son in 2022

Once Kimberly realized that the individuals outside her home were officers, she put the gun down and complied with their commands.

She was uninjured and has not been charged with a crime. The officers involved were also not injured and their identities have not been disclosed.

The footage shows all three officers fired their weapons during the shooting, but how many rounds were fired is still under investigation.

Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe said he could not yet explain why officers turned up to the wrong address.

He told a news conference at Farmington Police Station: ‘That’s the worst part of this for us. … I can’t give you that explanation right now. That is part of the interviews and that’s what the state police will be looking at.’

He added: ‘You know that, that really is something that the officers are going to have to talk with the state police about it and certainly, you know, the results of it are terrible.’

Hebbe said that the shooting will be investigated and state police will try to determine why officers went to the wrong address.

Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe admitted the results of the mistake were ‘terrible’

Two of the officers have been with the department for around five years, and the other around three, he added.

All three have been placed on administrative leave for the length of the investigation.

The Dotson family, along with their attorney, reviewed the video footage at the San Juan County District Attorney’s Office before its public release.

Hebbe expressed his condolences to the family in a news release. ‘All of us – the men and women of the Farmington Police Department – recognize the severity of this shooting,’ he said. ‘We will do everything possible to more fully understand what transpired here.

‘Once again, we wish to express our condolences to the Dotson family and as your chief of police, I wish to convey how very sorry I am that this tragedy occurred. We will continue to provide updates as we are able.’

Source: | This article originally belongs to

Content source –